DIVORCE. In a divorce proceeding, the Court can do several things that affect the family.
1. End a Marriage legally and, if requested, restore your maiden name.
2. Divide property between spouses, regardless of whose name is on the title to those assets.
3. Divide certain debts and financial obligations between spouses, regardless of when they were incurred.
4. Decide who will have physical and legal custody of children.
5. Set up a Parenting Time schedule.
6. Order a parent to pay child support or otherwise provide financially for children.
7. Appoint a GAL (guardian ad litem) who advocates in the best interests of the children.
8. Appoint a PC (parenting coordinator) who will work with both parents to resolve disagreements over parenting time even after the Court case is concluded.